Gonorrhoea – Blennorrhoea
By Dr. Nektarios Logaras – Dermatologist/Venereologist
Gonorrhea is the second most common Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) in Europe, after the HPV virus (Genital Warts).
The transmission occurs sexually through the genitals, penis and vagina or mouth or anus, the sperm is not necessary for transmission.
Gonorrhea is caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoae, which if not treated immediately can cause serious health problems.
The transmission of the bacterium occurs through sexual contact, but it can also be transferred from mother to newborn.
In newborns, gonococcus can cause blindness and generalized infection.
The gonococcus, in men, can cause urethritis, epididymitis, orchitis, and pharyngitis.
In women, it may cause cervicitis, urethritis, bartholinitis, proctitis, pharyngitis, perihepatitis, pelvic inflammatory disease and the most serious complication is infertility.
In both genes, Gonorrhea can become generalized and cause rash and arthritis.
Still, Gonorrhea can rarely cause meningitis and endocarditis.
In men, the symptoms are dysuria, discharge (secretion), a cloudy fluid from the genitals.
In women, gonorrhea can often be asymptomatic. In symptomatic women, symptoms are dysuria, vaginal discharge, abdominal pain, and menstruation.
Diagnosis is made by taking fluid for culture.
We always check for other STDs like Syphilis, Chlamydia and HIV.
The treatment is antibiotics, specifically Ceftriaxone, which sexual partners should always be informed about and treated as well.
The prevention of the disease is based on the use of the condom.
The Doctor’s experience
Dr. N. Logaras MD
Dermatologist – Venereologist
Laser Dermatologic Surgeon
Graduate of Nottingham and Birmingham Universities of England.
– Specialization in Dermatologic Surgery, Department of Plastic Surgery, Hospital of
Dermatological & Venereal Diseases “Andreas Syggros”
-Bachelor of Medical Sciences in Sexually Transmitted Diseases (AIDS), Warts (HPV) and
Hepatitis, University of Nottingham, UK
– Degree in Medicine, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, The University of
– Degree in Medical Biochemistry, Bachelor of Science (Medical Biochemistry), University of
Postgraduate Training of the American Academy of Dermatology at the Miami Convention Center in Miami, USA, and at the International Center of Lutronic, using Laser Systems for Medical and Cosmetic Applications, in Seoul, South Korea.
CAREER AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
-Dermatologist – Venereologist, Private Clinic – Athens South Dermatology & Laser Center,
– Dermatology – Venereology Specialty, Hospital of Dermatologic & Venereal Diseases “Andreas Syggros”
– Former Doctor, Royal Derby | Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, England
– Former Doctor, Taunton and Somerset Hospital NHS Trust-Musgrove Park, England
– Former Doctor, Worthing and Southlands Hospitals NHS Trust, England
– Former Doctor, Queen Alexandra Hospital, England
– Former Doctor, Portsmouth Hospital NHS Trust, England
– Former Doctor, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust, England
Dr. N. Logaras is member of the following Medical Societies.
– Hellenic Society of Dermatologic Surgery, Aesthetic Dermatology and Laser, attending its
congresses since 2010.
– American Academy of Dermatology.
– Hellenic Society of Dermatology & Venereology (HSDV)
– American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
– European Society for Cosmetic and Aesthetic Dermatology
19 years of medical experience
Phone No. for Appointment: 2109821431